Apply to the USU Mathematics and Statistics Graduate Program
Application to any of the graduate programs in the Department of Mathematics and Statistics requires both of the following:
As part of a complete USU application, all applicants must provide the following:
- Official GRE scores (subject exams not required, but GRE-Q at least 70th percentile and GRE-V at least 40th percentile expected); USU institutional code is 4857. It can take up to two weeks for official scores to arrive at USU.
- Three letters of recommendation (at least two from former professors) – uploaded by references using a link that will be emailed to them.
- Transcripts of previous coursework (email to firstname.lastname@example.org; overall GPA must be at least 3.0 over last 60 semester credits; we expect GPA in math/stat coursework to be at least 3.5). Unofficial transcripts can only be used for initial review; official transcripts are required before acceptance can be officially offered.
- Resume and Statement of Purpose documents.
- For international applicants with no prior degree from an English-speaking institution (in U.S., Canada, U.K., Australia, or New Zealand), a TOEFL score of at least 95 or IELTS score of at least 6.5; USU institutional code is 4857. Scores must be less than two years old.
Application timetable for Fall enrollment:
- January 15th – Begin review of completed applications.
- March 16th – Initial round of offers for acceptance and financial support.
- April 15th – Deadline for student decisions to accept or decline offer of financial support (please let us know if another institution has made an offer with an earlier deadline); following this date, a second round of offers may be made.
- May 1st – New students begin registration.
- August – Classes start the last week of August, but international students and students employed by the department (including teaching assistants) should arrive at least one week earlier for TA workshop/conference and orientation.
Applications completed by January 15th will receive full consideration for Fall admission. Applications for Spring admission will also be considered (using same standards for previous Fall admission, and balancing against remaining department financial aid funds) if completed by September 30th.
For questions regarding the graduate program, please contact Graduate Program Coordinator (GPC) Gary Tanner (435)797-2595, email@example.com.