Welcome to the Utah State University Student Chapter of SIAM
The Utah State University Society for Industrial and Applied Mathematics, Student Chapter, is dedicated to sharing our passion for mathematics with everyone around us.
The USU Applied Math Club/Student Chapter of SIAM was started in December 2012 with the main goal of increasing interest in Mathematics at Utah State University. In addition, we hoped the student chapter would aid in building and strengthening collaborations to help further our University's research interests and to provide professional development for interested graduate students in the Department of Mathematics and Statistics.
We work to reach these goals by:
- Holding regular meetings with guest speakers who use mathematics in their research or job.
- Allowing for collaboration between graduate students and faculty in developing projects/lessons which connect mathematical topics to real problems and applications.
- Holding short seminars on computational methods for interested graduate students and upper level undergraduates.
- Offering introductory classes on computational software or mathematical topics to the general student body.
- Holding interactive competitions in mathematics.
- Developing teacher training workshops for high school teachers to enable them to add context and applications to the mathematical skills they teach.
Faculty Advisor | Jia Zhao
President | Ian McGahan
Vice President | Eden Furtak-Cole
Secretary | Sarah Baldwin
Treasurer | Jill Lundell
Webmaster | Guen Grosklos
If you think you might be interested in joining SIAM as a student member, helping out, attending our meetings, or getting on our mailing list, email us (firstname.lastname@example.org)!
Interested in becoming an official SIAM member? Register! Membership is free for students and includes exclusive deals only available to members.