Skip to main content

the quad
Faculty FAQ

How to schedule a room?

  1. In Animal Science Building (Rooms 101, 112 or 119), contact Sara (7-2808) or Gaby (7-0600) to reserve the room.

  2. All Other Rooms are technically scheduled by University Scheduling. Please contact central scheduling yourself at: to check availability.

  3. Gary Tanner schedules all USU in-person math courses by semester and will notify you before the semester begins with your assigned classrooms.

How to file & follow up on an incomplete grade?

  1. If a student requests an incomplete grade from the instructor AND the instructor agrees that an Incomplete grade is warranted (based on USU Policy guidelines ), they will need to complete the Incomplete Grade ServiceNow form with the student with “extenuating circumstances”.

Because this process has moved to ServiceNow, incomplete grades have been removed from the Canvas and Banner grade submission applications.

  1. This new form will walk instructors through all the necessary steps to submit an incomplete grade that aligns with USU policy (Incomplete Grade ServiceNow form). Once the request has been submitted by the instructor, it will then be sent to students for approval via email before being processed by Registrar’s Office. Once it is approved or denied by the Registrar’s office, the student and the instructor will be notified.

See training video:  

  1. When the incomplete work has been completed, the instructor will process the Change of Grade: . If the student does not complete the necessary work, the grade will automatically revert to the grade assigned at the beginning of the incomplete grade process.

How to Hire an Hourly Student Employee.

  1. Consider how this new position be funded. (Course Fees, Grants, Dept. Funds)

  2. See Ting Xue (7-0244) for questions regarding the correct index numbers or account balance.

  3. Is the employee a graduate or undergraduate student?
    • Undergraduate Student: Contact Brent Thomas (7-7694) and/or Randall Haws (7-0596) to discuss whether the position falls under the Math/Stat Teaching Fellow job description. This will be determined by description of course work, course fee availability, current pay rates and time approvals.  If the student falls under an MSTF category, Randall and Brent will complete the hiring process with the student and inform faculty member when the process is complete, and the student can begin work. The student will be required to complete an application for an MSTF position on Aggie Handshake.

      If not MSTF, contact Sara Poulsen (7-2808) with a thorough job description for a required posting of the new position on Aggie Handshake prior to hiring. Hiring faculty will be responsible for twice monthly AggieTime approvals.

    • Graduate Student: Contact Gary Tanner to discuss pay rate and to ensure student can qualify to do hourly work. Completion of a 20+ Form ( ) may be required. Hiring faculty will be required to do twice monthly AggieTime approvals for graduate student hourly work. (See “How Do I Approve AggieTime?” dropdown link)

  1. For graduate students and non-MSTF hourly positions, fill out the necessary New Hire EPAF Form ( ). Please remember that we will need a few days for paperwork to be entirely processed.  The following are deadlines for new positions:

    Students beginning work 1st -15th Pay Period – Info must be completed by 10th

    Students beginning work 16th – Month End Pay Period – Info must be completed by 25th

  2. Is the student a New Hire or a Rehire for the Department or for USU? If the student is a New Hire, Contact College Business Manager, Alana Ward (7-1825), at the College of Science for New Hire I-9 and other paperwork. New students CANNOT begin 1st day of work until their I-9 is completed.  All student hourly employees will need to complete a new ACA Form for each new position number.  Please follow up with those you supervise to ensure full compliance with hiring paperwork is complete.  Contact Business Services staff with any questions or concerns.

  3. REMEMBER to promptly approve AggieTime hours every pay period.

(See “How Do I Approve AggieTime?” below)

What Paperwork do I need to complete for Travel?

Before Travel:

  1. What are the university requirements for travel? (

  2. Do you know you have access to funding to cover the trip? If not, seek approval from Department Head (John Stevens and Business Manager (Ting Xue

  3. Fill out the necessary Travel Authorization form prior to starting any travel in ServiceNow. Further instructions and training is provided at  and on the Integrated Learning System entitled “Travel Authorization, Reimbursement and Cash Advance”. Be sure to include a detailed description of the reason for travel.  Also, do all you can to combine travel with other colleagues traveling for the same reason. Notify Sara Poulsen if you will be combining any travel for appropriate paperwork.

  4. Once you have your Travel Authorization (TA) number, you may book your flights, hotels, and automobile use yourself and get reimbursements after the fact. You may also seek help from our department Business Assistant, Sara Poulsen, to help you with these bookings. There is guidance for booking and university discounts provided under Before Travelon the USU Travel Website.

  5. Understand your hotel cost and meal per diem limits before booking and be sure to gather and track all receipts so you can receive a full reimbursement for your expenses upon your return.

After Travel:

  1. You can access your Travel Authorization on ServiceNow portal. By clicking on the TA number, you can access this form to add information to and attach receipts. You can continue to Save Progress and Submit once the form is complete. This process should be completed within 30 days of travel completion.

  2. If you have questions or need assistance, contact Sara Poulsen (7-2808)

How do I approve AggieTime?

  1. Log in at with your A# and strong password.

  2. Go to Approvals in the left-hand column, check to be sure you are approving the right pay period at the arrow at the top of the page, then click on the name of each person whose hours you need to approve.

  3. Mark your calendar for the morning of the 1st and 16th of every month. Approvals should be done at this time to be sure you are not holding up payroll submission for department staff.

  4. For further step-by-step instructions, go to USU’s Integrated Learning System (, log in and watch “AggieTime” training course. You can find this training by using the search bar at the top of the page.

  5. If you have trouble after attempting these instructions, please reach out to Sara Poulsen

Grant/Account Management

How to find grant funding opportunities.

The USU Division of Research Development subscribes to a search engine called GrantForward. You can find massive grant opportunities using this search engine.


What is the proposal process?

Sponsored Program Office (SPO) oversees the entire grant application and proposal review process. Here, SPO provided an overview of the relevant policies and procedures.


How much money is available in my grant?

Primary investigators can access the grant account balance through Argos Report or by contacting the department Business Manager, Ting Xue You can also set up a monthly or quarterly meeting with the department Business Manager to go over your accounts.


Do I need to spend my start-up fund by end of year 3?

It is encouraged to do so, as the remaining fund after year 3 is subject to relinquishment.


Can I use my grant to pay for something?

This should follow your awarded grant/contract budget, which will be checked when setting up the grant index. There may be certain flexibility, which should follow the funding agency's policy and regulation, as well as their program officer's pre-approval. Do not hesitate to contact the department Business Manager, should you have questions or need assistance related to the grant Pre-award or Post-award budget.

What are the trainings I am required to do?

  1. As of July 1, 2021, USU requires annual compliance for ALL employees on the following topics:
    • FERPA (All)
    • IT Security (All)
    • Respectful Workplace (All)
    • Title IX (All- In person)
    • Defensive Driving (All benefitted employees)
    • Cash & Credit Card Handling (Eligibility questions will determine if you need to take)
    • Cardholder Training (All Cardholders or those applying for a card)

  2. You can learn more about this at
  3. Modules can be found on USU’s Integrated Learning System by logging in with you’re A# and strong password.
  4. The deadline for completion of all these modules is October 31, 2021.

What do I do if a student wants to add my class but can't?

If a student wants to add a class but can't (either because the class is full, or because instructor approval is needed after the waitlist goes away the 2nd week of classes) this is the process:

  1. The student needs to initiate the Registration Options Form in ServiceNow.
  2. The instructor will then receive an email asking them to approve or reject the request.
  3. If the instructor approves, then the request will be automatically routed to the Math Advising Office to check prerequisites.  After prerequisites are verified, the request will be routed to the Registrar's office.

Other QuickLinks


Department Staff:

Business Assistant: Sara Poulsen (7-2808)
Student Office Assistant: Gaby Corbridge (7-0600)  
Business Manager: Ting Xue (7-0244)
Graduate Program Coordinator: Gary Tanner (7-2595)
IT Administrator: Abel Beland (7-4061)
Undergraduate Advisor: Linda Skabelund (7-8311)
Peer Advisors: Advisors (7-0268)
AMLC Director: Brent Thomas (7-7694)
AMLC Training Specialist: Randall Haws (7-0596)
Associate Dept Head:  Luis Gordillo (7-0245)
Interim Dept Head: John Stevens (7-2810)